For Sale: 1949 Plymouth Deluxe 2dr "fastback" sedan - $9,800 - Lancaster, PA  - Not Mine

For Sale: 1949 Plymouth Deluxe 2dr "fastback" sedan - $9,800 - Lancaster, PA

1949 Plymouth - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Beautiful 1949 Plymouth owned by me since 1977. New fuel pump, oil change, tune up this spring. Started my career with this car, kept it in enclosed garage spaces throughout ownership. But it is time for someone else to enjoy this classic. Feel free to email with questions etc. Thank you, Mark.
Copy and paste in your email: 45530f72fb543ccea2140dafae48a306@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1949 Plymouth Deluxe 2dr "fastback" sedan.

'49 Plymouth PA a.jpg

'49 Plymouth PA b.jpg

'49 Plymouth PA c.jpg

'49 Plymouth PA d.jpg

'49 Plymouth PA e.jpg

'49 Plymouth PA f.jpg

'49 Plymouth PA g.jpg

• Like 3

That car is, trust me, very red. Looks really nice.

I'm not a huge fan of Plymouths of this era, but that is sweet. 

When I was a kid, Mr. Otto Kaufman up the street had a light green one like this with black wall tires. I thought it was plain jane hideous. 

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a '50 fastback, which was called the P-19. Pretty sure that shade of red wasn't available as a factory color, but not 100% sure. My wife hated the color of mine, which she called "battleship gray." The cars handled pretty well compared to other similar cars of the era, which is part of why they had a little (but not dominant) success in NASCAR back then.  The '49 was pretty much the same as the '50, but the '49 had "corrugated" bumpers, which - for some odd reason - were mildly popular on customs and low-riders of the era.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

The '49 was pretty much the same as the '50, but the '49 had "corrugated" bumpers, which - for some odd reason - were mildly popular popular on custom and low-riders of the era.

The reason was that we were running out of '37 DeSoto bumpers, and they were getting expensive. $10.00 a pair, or so.

'49 Plymouth bumpers were plentiful in all the junk yards and were only a buck or two each. Plus, they fit post-war custom cars much better.

1938 Desoto bumper wanted - Desoto - Antique Automobile Club of America -  Discussion Forums

'37 Desoto bumpers on a '35-'36 Ford (with a '49 Chevy license plate guard)

Hank Fournier's 1936 Ford - Kustomrama

Junkyard Find: 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe Sedan | The Truth About Cars

'49 Plymouth bumpers on a '50 Ford

(Typical mid-'50's mild custom, bumper guards deleted, Buick side trim added. '51 Ford headlight rings and probably real Appleton spotlights and an aftermarket "bull nose" replacing the factory hood ornament, '51 Ford chrome tail light trim)

Shoebox Barn Find: 1950 Ford Busines Coupe | Barn Finds

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrumBob said:

When I was a kid, Mr. Otto Kaufman up the street had a light green one like this with black wall tires. I thought it was plain jane hideous. 

That's interesting. When I saw the car, I was thinking how it'd look better in the light green I used to see rather than resale red. But I like red more on coupes or convertibles than sedans.

Does that woodgraining look like original pattern? Did they have woodgraining?